Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Random Observations - Part 1

There are occasions where I feel like writing a blog but don't necessarily have enough content to warrant bothering with a post.  It's like when you have leftover spaghetti and egg salad - it doesn't necessarily make sense to eat them together as a meal but when you're hungry enough you'll eat just about anything.  As such, I'll assemble those meandering thoughts into a single entity, heretofore to be known as the "Random Observations".

- My WrestleMania XXVII predictions...

Were almost all wrong.  I went 2-8 (technically, I was 2-8-1 seeing as how WWE wound up bumping the advertised Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan US Championship match off the card due to time constraints), which is pathetic.  I can't even claim a moral victory here because the matches I predicted correctly - Trish Stratus, John Morrison & Snooki over LayCool & Dolph Ziggler, and Undertaker over Triple H - weren't exactly long shots seeing as how Undertaker and celebrities are pretty much guaranteed winners at WrestleMania.  I thought I was taking a fairly logical approach to my arguments in attempting to postulate who would win each match, which just goes to show that those of us who feel like we've followed the WWE product (and wrestling in general in most cases) long enough to have an idea of what's coming next still have no clue what's actually going on better than 90% of the time.


- Defensive driving classes...

Can be fairly taxing on the mind, body, and spirit.  I was required to attend a course organized by my employer earlier this week.  The room in which the class was held was very warm and the seating uncomfortable, and these sensations were compounded by the fact that the course lasted just shy of 4 hours.  Be that as it may, the content of the session was sound and I'm looking forward to receiving my attendance certificate in the hope that it will knock a few bucks off my car insurance.

Most of the videos included in the presentation were from the United Kingdom and consisted of kids either getting thrashed around inside a vehicle because they'd not bothered to wear seat belts or being run over by oncoming tractor-trailers due to their not having been cognizant enough to look both ways before crossing a street.  The psychology behind videos like those has always been a mystery to me, much like the psychology behind my old Sunday school teacher who used to incessantly tell us how bad Hell was going to be in an effort to get us to accept Jesus Christ as our eternal lord & savior. ("You will go to Hell and you will burn...", she would say to us while pointing her old, wrinkly, nicotine scented index finger at us.  That's a bit like sandblasting a soup cracker in attempting to deliver perspective to a group of 8 year old kids.) My point being, showing me a child getting her skull bounced off a windshield isn't going to make me any better of a driver.  It does, however, prove that we'd all be better off if we wore helmets constantly - cool and functional helmets, mind you.


- I make really good jambalaya...

Really, I do - or at least I think I do.  If someone from New Orleans tasted it they might think I'd just served them a steaming bowl of shame soup that was being rather rudely put off as one of their most sacred of regional dishes.  Even so, I think it's good and it's my own recipe that I've perfected over time.  I'm very happy with the recipe as is, however I'm a tinkerer when it comes to things of a culinary nature which is why I'm interested in trying a few alternative ingredients in the future just to see how they turn out.  For example, I typically include smoked sausage in my jambalaya but I'd like to try Andouille sausage because it's a more traditional ingredient found in jambalaya. (I've tried making my jambalaya with turkey sausage for a healthier twist but something isn't quite the same about the end result.) Likewise, I've often seen bay leaves involved in jambalaya recipes but I've never cooked with them.  I'm hesitant to include them as I'd hate to have a flavor I'm not too keen on winding up ruining supper.

- Some people can work out by osmosis...

At least that's what I assume they're doing.  My wife and I go to the local YMCA sometimes as many as 5 days a week depending on our schedules and desires.  Seeing as how there aren't many gyms in the town we live it's usually pretty crowded in there.  Most members at this particular YMCA seem to be fairly agreeable when it comes to understanding that everyone's there for the same goal and that you shouldn't hog one piece of equipment since there are other people who want to use it.  Even so, there have been several instances where I've become quite annoyed with patrons who basically sit on a piece of equipment without doing any actual exercise (or at least enough to amount to anything).

Case in point, I begin my exercise routine with about 35 minutes of cardiovascular training; usually a "rolling hills" program on a stationary bicycle.  Earlier this week when I got on the bike there was a woman sitting across the room from me on a butterfly curl machine.  She sat there literally the entire time I was on the bike and did all of 3 repetitions.  I know I'm not an Adonis by any means, but that doesn't matter seeing as how in this context what we're ultimately talking about is etiquette and tact when it comes to being in a communal space like a gym.  If you want to send text messages and browse Facebook for half an hour - great, but go do it on a bench somewhere!  Don't keep people from being able to use equipment that they're paying money to have access to by being a rude douche, for crying out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment