Thursday, January 15, 2015

2014 - A Year in Review

Yeah, I know I'm a few weeks late with this (I say that apologetically although when you're examining the past should there be a realistic time frame in which someone has to look back in a retrospective manner?), but I have plenty of logical reasons for my first blog entry of 2015 having taken a while to make its way from my brain to the Internet. It's called being a dad and I am happy to say that of all the reasons I could have for ignoring something as ultimately frivolous (in the grand scheme of things anyway; not to discredit this fine publication but my priorities are what they are) as this here blog trust me when I say that there is none more rewarding than that.

I guess that's as suitable a segue as any into what was undoubtedly the most prolific, life-altering experience to come out of 2014, that being the culmination of the process my wife Jill and I have gone through in building our family. I won't bother recapping the entire turn of events that lead us where we are today (if you'd like, feel free to refer back to any of my blog entries that are titled "Our Road to Building a Family" as well as pretty much any blog entry my wife has made at her site - The Truesdale Times - in the past year), however I will make it known that to have what we have now is such an incredible gift. Our son - The Duke, as we'll still be referring to him until the adoption proceedings are finalized - will soon be 3 months old. He amazes me each and every day with his personality. There is nothing in the world that makes me as happy as seeing him smile and hearing him laugh. He's already changed and grown so much in the short period of time we've had him, it just makes me wish time would slow down or that I would somehow be able to appreciate it more because he'll only be this way for a short period of time. He'll be crawling soon, then he'll pull himself up to make his first steps, and before you know it he'll be graduating from college.

Oh, life - won't you take your shoes off and stay for a while? Quick, let me move on to other topics before I get any more cheesy and emotional over how awesome our little family unit became over the stretch of 2014.

Last year was full of experiences for my wife and I as we were able to travel and do some things we'd not been able to previously. I, personally, started off the year with a trip to Winston-Salem, North Carolina in pursuit of one of my hobbies, that being following independent professional wrestling promotions in the region. Jill & I made our way to Duluth, Georgia (which isn't too far away from Atlanta) for a Valentine's Day jaunt to pay a visit to a third Medieval Times castle. (We've been to their locations in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and Orlando, Florida; I won't say that we're officially on a trek to visit all the MT castles but at the same time I won't deny that it sounds like a fun endeavor.) May was a month that I think I'll remember fondly for the rest of my life seeing as how we got to go to one of our favorite vacation destinations, that being Walt Disney World, for the 2014 edition of Star Wars Weekends during which we got to meet a slew of Star Wars characters as well as see a panel that involved actors Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett) and Warwick Davis (Wicket). Our yearly vacation to Myrtle Beach was memorable for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the fact that I was able to reclaim the Annual Myrtle Beach Putt Putt Challenge Championship trophy for the second time. Our tires got a bit of rest towards the middle of the year but they got back onto the road around Labor Day as we ventured to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a weekend getaway that turned out to be an adventure. And to cap things off as far as road trips are concerned, I traveled to Gibsonville, North Carolina in October to attend a pro wrestling card held there.





I had several people pose the question "Where are y'all headed this weekend?" to me throughout 2014. I guess by that you could say that we do a good job of documenting (and publicizing) our lives seeing as how they wouldn't be asking that otherwise. The truth of the matter is that I've never been a homebody - I blame my Grandmother for this as she was exactly the same, seemingly never content to spend too much time at home, preferring to be out and about enjoying herself whether that meant taking a bus tour across the country or going shopping. I enjoy getting out, seeing the world and doing things, and I don't anticipate that changing any time soon. That being the case the answer to "Where are y'all headed this weekend?" is, quite simply, wherever we feel like it.

2014 was not without its moments of trauma, unfortunately.

We got our first dose of what it's like to be fearful for our property's health and well-being in February when a horrible ice storm assaulted our part of the world. Rarely have I felt a sense of isolation so thick as I did during the few days that we were more or less cut off from the rest of the world by the effects of the storm (we only lost power for a few hours but our home phone, television, and internet connectivity was down for several days; to make matters worse our cellular reception isn't that great where we live). And, for the record, I'll be perfectly fine if I never hear the sound of trees cracking and falling under the weight of accumulated ice. I kid you not, our neighborhood was so tense that it seemed as though there were a thousand ACME brand anvils strung up by frayed twine, all of which were waiting for just the right moment to fall - but would they fall harmlessly to the ground or calamitously onto someone's house? We were fortunate that our home wasn't damaged, thankfully, and aside from a few downed limbs we didn't have much to concern ourselves with in terms of cleanup.


Not everyone has a pet. Those people are weird, or at least I believe they are. Animals, dogs specifically, make life better in my opinion. They give us companionship and affection, and in return all they want is for us to be happy. That being the case, it's easy to understand why it's so hard to deal with when age gets the best of them and they finally come to the end of what was hopefully an adventurous life. Chewie, my Mom's beloved dachshund, left this world towards the end of 2014 and it still makes me sad to think about the fact that he's not with us anymore. I buried him behind our storage shed. When the weather is right I plan on reseeding our lawn and once the grass gets going I'll put down a marker my wife & I had made for him.

Raise your hand if you've ever thought you were going to have to fight a brush fire extending off of a 4 alarm house fire with a garden hose while wearing your pajamas and a pair of sandals in 40° weather? No takers? My hand is raised, because I've been there!

Near the end of November, just after Thanksgiving, a vacant house two doors down from ours was more or less gutted by a fire. The heat from the blaze was so intense that it melted the vinyl siding on a home that exists between ours and it. At one point I genuinely thought I was going to have to try and stave off the flames that were steadily marching across the grassy lot between the two properties but fortunately enough the local fire department arrived with haste, thus saving me the trouble. (I was ready and willing, is the point I'm trying to make.) The house was a total loss and arson investigators from South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division were on hand in the days after the fire. I don't think there has been any progress in the case (there's been no public comment from any authorities on the matter) but it definitely seemed suspicious seeing as how no one had been there for weeks and, from what we were told, the electricity had been turned off. It's been several months since then and the house that burned still sits in the state it was left, complete with crime scene tape. It's an eyesore and I certainly hope the owners of that property will have it cleaned up sooner rather than later.



Everyone who knows me well knows how big a fan I am of professional wrestling. Always have been, more than likely always will be. (I say that even though here lately the bulk of World Wrestling Entertainment's TV programming has made me question why I bother tuning in to their shows anymore.) In recent years I have grown especially fond of supporting our local pro wrestling promotions and the talent making up those rosters. I mentioned earlier in this post how I went to Winston-Salem, NC for an event. It was around that same time that I began to hatch the idea for my very own YouTube show, which I envisioned as being something of a reality or documentary series wherein I would depict the experience of what it's like to be a fan of indie pro wrestling and what it's like to attend events put on by promotions falling into that category. Rasslin' with Redbeard is what that idea eventually became, and I'm proud to say that I was able to produce 12 episodes in 2014.



In addition, I began filming matches at the events I attend and I add those to my YouTube channel as well. My mission there has been to hopefully do my part in giving the talent that exists in our neck of the woods an opportunity to be seen by eyes that might have bigger and grander ideas for them than what they're enjoying currently. It pleases me greatly when I see individuals sharing the content I publish, not because it does anything for me, personally, but because it validates the objective I've set for this effort.



I made a point to say that last bit there because I don't know that everyone understands that seeing as how I've had to deal with a few negative reactions to what I've been doing. More so than anything, that sort of response comes from people who feel as though I'm either presenting them in a negative light or otherwise cutting into their profits by way of making their product freely available when they had machinations of selling it. The fact of the matter is that with Rasslin' with Redbeard I am sharing my personal experience as a fan who drives (several hours in some cases) to a venue, pays for a ticket, and spends money at the concession stand. Not that shelling out my hard earned cash grants me a right to do whatever I want, rather that if I offer constructive criticism it's the honest opinion of someone who's been to enough shows and seen enough matches to know what's good, what's bad, and what falls somewhere in between. Believe me when I say that I do try to stay positive in promoting indie pro wrestling as a whole because there's enough snarky commentary out here on the Internet about pro wrestling as is, hence the reason why I want to build up as opposed to tearing down. That said, if I enjoy a show, I'm going to tell you I enjoyed it and if I didn't enjoy a show, I'm going to tell you about it, too.

To those of you who've taken issue with me over any of the material I've published, please know that I make no money from doing what I do with this content. I invest my personal time, effort, funds, and materials for the exclusive purpose of (hopefully) increasing the exposure of talent and promotions because I feel like they deserve it.

2014 was a great year and, in my heart, I have high hopes for 2015. I think that this will be a stellar year for my wife & I, and our still developing little family unit. With any luck we'll soon be able to share all the details imaginable about The Duke and we'll be able to go about our lives without need for all the cloak and dagger nonsense we've had to endure. He'll be joining us on all our adventures and get to live the full, spoiled rotten life he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment