Thursday, May 8, 2014

Video Killed the Radio (Blog?) Star

If you're a frequent visitor to my part of the blogosphere (just for reference, that is the first and more than likely the last time you'll ever see me use that word) you may recall that earlier this year I made a post wherein I set a goal for myself to make at least 3 blog entries per month. I've held pretty close to true on that, although I will say that there are only two entries for the month of April even though at one point in time there were 3.

"What happened to the third one?", you ask. Well, a while ago I purchased a keyboard dock for my Asus Transformer tablet which essentially turns the tablet into a handy-dandy Android-based netbook. It's great because it's portable, has awesome battery life, and because it's Android it runs just about every app you could think of, including one that's meant for users of Blogger such as myself. I sometimes will start a blog in the app then work on it again when I'm in front of a PC or vice versa. The missing blog from April (which was an event report from a recent WrestleForce show I attended) is an apparent victim to the fact that I published that piece through the web after having started it in the app. Evidently when I went back to the app my Blogger entries were updated based on the data that was (for some reason) still queued in the app, meaning that published entry reverted to an unfinished draft state.

Suffice to say I was pissed when I realized what had happened. I guess whoever Google has working on this particular product skipped over the importance of checking date stamps on database entries; that, and they also offer no ability to recover material in situations like this. Once it's gone, it's gone. Such is life, eh?

Be that as it may, I haven't soured on the prospect of keeping up my blog but I have gotten quite into the realm of video here lately. I'm not going so far as to label myself a vlogger (there's another word you may or may not ever get from me again), however I can tell you that I genuinely enjoy the experience of working with video! Perhaps it's the newness of it or the excitement may be from my merely getting with the times - whatever the case, I've taken to YouTube and have some actual content to share. That said, what follows are a handful of my most recent videos and a bit of commentary on each. If you'd like to see my full YouTube channel, you can do so via this link.

CLIP #1) Rasslin' with Redbeard - Episode 4

I'm particularly proud of this edition of RWR mainly because I think it's the best example to date of what RWR is all about, that being an honest depiction of the fan experience at professional wrestling events. In this instance, the video follows my wife & I as we made our way to Cameron, North Carolina for an event promoted by OMEGA Championship Wrestling headlined by the Hardy Boyz as they faced off against the Briscoe Brothers.



CLIP #2) Random Clips & Match Highlights from CHAOS IN CAMERON

Also recorded during our trip to Cameron were these clips from the show we attended. I'm a little gun shy of promoting this simply for the fact that I had another highlight package I'd put together of nothing but footage from the main event (which was one of the best tag team matches I've ever seen, quite frankly), but I was asked to remove it by someone in OMEGA's "front office" after having published it. Hopefully if they see this they'll understand the point is to make people interested in their product.



CLIP #3) Team Alexander vs. Team Konley (WrestleForce; 5-4-2014)

At almost 45 minutes in length, this match is more than a little beefy. There's a story to be told here, though, and if nothing else I would hope that should you watch the entire thing you'd come away from it impressed by the skills of those involved. It takes a ton of cardiovascular conditioning to gut out a match of this length, which is why competitors like Cedric Alexander and Vordell Walker are in a very small group of elite athletes out there on the independent pro wrestling scene today. Should you not have 45 minutes to invest in it, at least watch the last 15 minutes - TRUST ME.



That's a sampling of what I'm doing with my YouTube channel. I have a few other videos I've amassed but haven't done anything with, primarily because I'm not 100% certain they're worth putting out there. I may add them someday to round out the kind of material I publish because I'll be the first to admit that my channel is very wrestling-heavy. Then again, it's my channel and I'm a big fan of wrestling, so it's only fitting. Regardless, if you've been a fan or follower of mine here on Blogger I would hope you'd take the time to see what else I've been working on. I'm still working on learning the ins and outs of this but I like where it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment