Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our Voyage to the Western Caribbean (Part 4)

11-17-11 (Thursday): I’ve mentioned several times during the course of recapturing our experiences on this cruise that we were greeted by an amazing view of the sunrise each morning as we got up to prepare for the events of the day.  In order to get that kind of view, obviously it requires having a stateroom with some type of portal to the world – in our case, a cove balcony.  You could probably see them just as well from a room with only a porthole but for us a balcony stateroom is the only way to go.  Sure, it’s a bit more money than an interior room; even so, if splurging on a vacation as unique as this one is a bad thing then I don’t think either Jill or myself want to be right.

Our room aboard the Dream - a Cove Balcony class

As it would turn out, the view this particular morning as we arrived at Costa Maya wasn’t as picturesque as what we’d seen thus far.  I say it wasn’t picturesque even though I guess to some folks the sight of a roiling thunderstorm off in the distance and torrential rain might be a beautiful thing (I’m not exaggerating in saying that the clouds were near pitch-black when the storm was at its most severe).  For us, not so much especially considering we’d just had to abandon our plans for Isla Roatan a day prior thanks to less than favorable conditions near the port.  We had booked an excursion for the day that would include a sight-seeing trip on the water aboard a glass-bottomed boat as well as a snorkeling session.  Needless to say, as we had our breakfast from room service we feared that our final adventure as passengers aboard the Carnival Dream might get washed away.

Ominous skies greeted us in Costa Maya

The storm didn’t appear to dissuade some of our fellow travelers as they were walking through the rain, bound and determined to see Costa Maya regardless of the weather.  I was trying to stay positive by holding onto hope that the winds would blow the storm out of the area and we’d still be able to go on our excursion.  Rain isn’t exactly a reason to not go for a swim – I’ve never understood why people flee from a perfectly safe pool just because it starts raining seeing as how you were already engaged in an activity that requires you to get wet.  Lightning, on the other hand, is nothing to fool around with and the fact that there were several small boats in the harbor getting tossed around wasn’t boosting my confidence.

Fortunately for us, by the time we were ready to leave the boat and meet up with the rest of our group on the pier the rain had begun to slack off and the most ominous of the clouds departed.  We wound up having a fantastic view that morning after all, albeit not of the sunset but rather of a double-rainbow that seemed to form directly in front of our stateroom’s balcony.  It was a very welcoming vision and more than enough inspiration for us to set off on another adventure.


We had some time to waste before our excursion was to begin which allowed us the chance to walk around the shops at the port for a while.  We took note of the fact that there’s a sign at the Senor Frog’s location at Costa Maya pointing in the general direction of the one in Myrtle Beach, SC (if you’ve never seen or heard of Senor Frog’s, the best description I can provide would be to picture a dive bar & restaurant catering to partiers that happens to be a successful chain).  To be completely honest with you, the areas nearest to the port at each stop we made on this cruise were not that different from one another.  It was essentially the same set of shops at each port – there’s some mild variation to the offerings therein when it comes to inventory but not so much that I can say any one of them was significantly different than the other.

Myrtle Beach, SC - your reputation is known around the world

One feature to the area near port at Costa Maya disappointed both me and Jill on an emotional level.  In looking at excursions, you see many offerings that deal with dolphin encounters where patrons have a chance to get in the water and swim or otherwise interact with porpoises.  These are usually accompanied by pictures of the excursion taking place in a tropical lagoon or another setting that would appear to be natural for the dolphins, as if they decided to participate in the event on their own volition.  To the contrary of those images was the sight of a narrow holding tank built into the side of an embankment near the shore where we saw a pair of dolphins swimming back and forth.  I don’t think the operation we saw is associated with any of the excursions offered through Carnival, but even so it was a very sad to see those majestic animals penned up in such small confines.

Dolphins in a holding pen near the pier with the Dream in the background

It was getting closer to time for our excursion to begin, so we made our way back to the pier.  The rain had stopped for a while but, wouldn’t you know it, as we started walking away from the shops the rain began again.  And this wasn’t a drizzle we’re talking about – these were big ol’ fat drops of rain, as Forest Gump would’ve called them.  Like I said earlier in this entry, we were going swimming anyway so the fact that we were getting wet didn’t matter much to me.  Jill, on the other hand, wasn’t too excited about being drenched; she hadn’t worn a hat that day and I believe it was getting into her eyes.  We made it to the pier and met up with our tour guide; he assured us that our excursion was going to happen and that we were on schedule.  Not too long after this our group was rounded up and we boarded a bus that would take us from the pier we were on to the pier where we’d begin our tour.  The bus ride between piers was interesting as we found ourselves in this huge vehicle being driven down dirt roads that didn’t seem wide or stable enough to support a bus.  All I can say is that the men who drive those buses know the roads well enough to be able to squeeze their caravans through spaces I wouldn’t dare try.  We made it to the pier without incident, though, and we enjoyed the opportunity the ride afforded us to see a glimpse of what Costa Maya is like away from the touristy section.








We didn’t have to walk far once the bus stopped seeing as how the driver took the bus out onto the pier where our boat was waiting for us.  Our tour guide – whose name was Gustavo – and the crew of the glass-bottomed boat helped us step off the pier and into the vessel that would ferry us the rest of the afternoon.  The tour on the glass-bottomed boat was a lot of fun as we were able to see through the clear blue water of the Caribbean down to the sea floor which was teaming with life – all sorts of fish and coral, in as many colors as you could imagine.  I’m not sure what happened but at one point during the tour there was a loud bang and the boat lurched forward as if we’d hit something.  With that, I readied myself for the possibility that instead of going snorkeling we could very well be swimming back to shore instead!

The hull of the boat apparently intact, we were issued our snorkeling equipment just prior to arrival at the location where we’d begin our dive.  Jill was feeling a little apprehensive about getting in the water; I understood why as she’d relayed to me when we were booking this excursion that she’d been snorkeling years prior while on a cruise with her parents and had difficulty adjusting to the conditions.  I, on the other hand, had my gear on and was ready to go before anyone else in our group which is exactly what I did as I was the first one to jump in, feet first, to our snorkeling adventure.  Gustavo and I were treading water for a few minutes by ourselves before anyone else from the group joined us.  I guess Jill didn’t want to be the only one left on the boat because she was soon geared-up and into the water as well!  I was glad that she changed her mind as I would’ve hated for her to have missed out on the experience.

Hanging out in the water with our tour guide Gustavo

Jill (center, inside the boat) getting her snorkeling gear on

Before the moment when I jumped into the ocean that day, the last time I’d swam in the sea was better than 15 years ago.  I don’t swim in the waters off the coast of South Carolina because they are murky, quite frankly, and I don’t have any desire to get into water that isn’t clear enough for me to see my feet once they’re beneath it.  The most I’ll do there is stick my toes into the surf.  The waters of the Caribbean are the exact opposite – they are a blue, almost green tint, clear all the way to the bottom, and surprisingly warm…And salty – very, very salty.  So salty that when I first went to use my snorkel and wound up with a mouthful of sea water that I was overcome by the pure salinity of it.

Between struggling to clear my snorkel and dealing with the sensation of an entire carton of iodized salt being poured into my mouth, the first few minutes of my snorkeling experience were a little rough.  I kept at it, though, and after a bit of trial and error in determining the best position to hold my head I pretty well got the hang of it.  I was lagging behind the rest of the group thanks to my struggles but I quickly caught up once I got comfortable with the sensation of breathing with my nose and mouth underwater.  I’ve always loved swimming and I like to think of myself as a fairly strong swimmer, and the addition of flippers seemed to have improved my abilities somewhat.  As good of a swimmer as I may be, Gustavo was significantly more skilled and may in fact be part fish as he had no difficulty in diving to the bottom to bring up examples of undersea life (several varieties of urchins) for us to hold.

You can barely see it but I'm holding a small sea urchin

A member of our group holding a spider urchin

Seeing all the various species of fish and coral along the bottom of the ocean was a beautiful sight.  The seas are a part of our world that is so vast, it’s mind boggling to stop and consider just how expansive they are.  And to think that the section we were touring that day was quite literally a mere drop in what is an unfathomable bucket only furthers the concept of its breadth.



There was a mildly disconcerting portion of our snorkeling adventure, which occurred when Gustavo lead us into waters that were significantly more shallow than what we’d started off in.  The currents in this area were much stronger than what we’d encountered previously and some of the coral formations were quite large, reaching almost up to the surface of the water.  We were told before we began our dive that we shouldn’t touch the coral as we could inadvertently damage it; unfortunately, we didn’t have much choice at this point in the excursion seeing as how the current pushed us into several jagged coral formations.  Jill was fairly distraught as she thought she’d cut her hand – it turned out she hadn’t but of course I immediately thought of her having encountered a piece of fire coral which is venomous albeit in a way that is more irritating than anything.  Several other members of our group fared worse than we did as they actually got hung up on a large formation.  As we were collecting ourselves I couldn’t believe it when I saw a woman standing on either a rock or a huge piece of coral.  She was yelling at Gustavo, saying (amongst other things) that she was in distress and that she’d lost one of her flippers.  Needless to say, that was when our dive ended and we made our way back to the glass-bottomed boat.

We rode back to the area around the port in a passenger van, which felt much more maneuverable in the streets of Costa Maya compared to the bus we’d rode in on.  Once we were back in the touristy section of the city we did more shopping and made a few small purchases.  One of my favorite magnets from this vacation is the one we picked up in Costa Maya, a bronze piece featuring Mayan hieroglyphs in a circular pattern around a tribal figure.  I’m not sure exactly why I pushed Jill into doing this but I decided that we should eat lunch at Senor Frog’s instead of going back to the Dream.  I blame anatomy as the fact that my stomach appears to be hard-wired to my brain has lead me to make more than a few poor decisions in my life.  The food at Senor Frog’s wasn’t bad – it was quite good however the service was poor and the meal was significantly more expensive than what it was worth.  Let’s just say that I’ll never forget having paid $10 for a Coke served in a souvenir cup shaped like a palm tree.

This cost $10 - no, seriously...

As we walked back to the Dream I took off the pair of water shoes I’d been wearing for a majority of the day.  If you’ve never had a pair of them, water shoes are intended to be worn while swimming and they’re usually rather tight-fitting.  Between the fit of the shoes and the fact that they were soaking wet, I managed to get a fairly good-sized blister on the pinky toe of my left foot.  I’d add a picture of it to this blog entry but I don’t want to repulse what readers I do have.

After we were back onboard the Dream we took showers and got some rest.  I went out onto our balcony after I’d taken a brief nap and noticed an ambulance near the gantry connecting our ship to the pier.  A female passenger was inside the ambulance, and there appeared to be several personnel from the ship communicating with the passenger’s family and operators who I’m assuming were the Costa Maya equivalent of emergency medical technicians.  I couldn’t help but watch and listen as the scene developed since it was all happening within earshot of our stateroom.  At one point I overheard one of the patient’s family members say something along the lines of “We don’t have that kind of money!”, and I immediately started thinking of the logistics involved with getting healthcare in a foreign land.  Do hospitals in South America even recognize our insurance providers?  It was a question I’d never even thought to ask myself until then.  The patient’s family went into the ship for a while, long enough for them to gather up a few belongings, then came back to rejoin her.  I’m not sure exactly how much money changed hands but I can tell you that I witnessed a male passenger count out what looked to be a significant amount of cash into the hands of one of the EMTs before everyone got into the ambulance and left the pier.  I could not imagine getting caught up in a situation like that; I pray that passenger and her family are alright.

That night was the final elegant evening on the Dream for this voyage which meant we would once again be getting all gussied up for dinner.  Have I ever mentioned how beautiful my wife is?  There is no better example of her hot-young-trophy-wife status than the image of her this night as she was wearing a classic black dress and pearls (a personal favorite accessory of hers).  I dubbed her “The First Lady” of the Dream as it was an ensemble that looked like something a true first lady would’ve worn to a stately occasion.


We had the dinner table to ourselves that evening, which was perfectly fine by me as it gave it the feeling of a high-class date night – something we don’t get to experience all that often.  The service staff in our dining room was set to perform for us that evening (as they often do on Carnival ships, the waiters and maître d' break out into song & dance during the meal), and we both got a kick out of seeing our waiter dance to T-Pain’s tribute to curvaceous women, “Apple Bottom Jeans”.

Our waiter, Big D, bringing the funk

The performance in the Encore Theater was a tribute to country-western music and it was one of the better shows we saw during our week on the Dream.  I’d brought my beloved Canon SX30-IS camera (which I’d bought just prior to this trip) with me into the theater even though guests are asked to refrain from taking video or still-images during stage performances.  I didn’t have any intention of defying this request; I’d brought it to take pictures during dinner and didn’t see the point in going back to our stateroom to drop it off.  I’m something of a photo bug, you see, which is why I like to have it within reach in the event that I see something I’d like to document.

After the show, we walked the length of the ship to the Punch Liner comedy club.  Once we were there, Jill excused herself to make use of the facilities and left me by myself to watch her stuff for her.  I sat there, looked around the room and contemplated flagging down a waiter to order a drink.  I looked down at the seat beside me at Jill’s stuff and it was then that I realized I’d left my camera in the theater!

I was instantly frantic – I politely asked the woman sitting beside me if she’d be so kind as to watch my wife’s belongings, telling her that I’d be back but that I had to rush off because I’d done one of the stupidest things imaginable.  To say that I was upset as I all but ran back to the opposite end of the boat (which wasn’t an easy task seeing as how night time is when everyone is out and about on the various decks of the ship) would be a vast understatement.  Not boo-hoo crying upset, mind you, but pure rage at myself as I was sure that I’d lost not just a camera but all the pictures we’d taken throughout our cruise.  As I neared the theater I convinced myself that the camera was gone and that I should accept that my own neglectfulness had lead to me not only lose a very valuable piece of equipment but also a set of irreplaceable keepsakes.

I entered the theater via the upper-level balcony and all but tumbled down a set of stairs leading to the lower level where we’d been sitting.  I neared our seats, hoping that I’d see the camera lying there like an abandoned pet hoping that its owner would return for it – alas, there was no loving puppy nor a camera there where we’d been sitting.  I asked several of the custodial staff who were working to clean up the theater in between performances if they’d seen my camera; none of them had but one of them suggested I check with guest services to see if it had been turned in to lost & found.

The guest services desk, conveniently enough, is located not far from the encore theater.  I approached the desk and, still in a state of panic, completely ignored the fact that there was a line of people waiting to speak with staff there.  It’s tough to be convincingly apologetic when your nerves are fried, in case you didn’t know.  As I awaited my turn at the desk my thoughts were of someone else using my camera as if it were their own.  I can only equate the feeling to that of seeing a girl you like going out with some other guy.  Finally it was my turn – I asked the female agent at the desk if a camera had been turned in as I’d left mine in the theater.  She asked what kind of camera it was and I described it to her down to the model number, after which she said to me “Is it a larger, black camera?”

A glimmer of hope!  I replied that it was as she’d specified and she told me that a camera fitting the description of mine had been turned in to them by one of my fellow passengers.  She brought the camera to the desk and, low and behold, it was my camera!  Suddenly my faith in humanity was restored and all was right with the world.  I asked the agent if the person who’d turned it in had by chance left their name as I wanted to buy them a bottle of something very expensive or at least thank them for their honesty in doing the right thing.  Unfortunately they had not – all I can say is that if you were the person who took care of my camera for me that evening and you happen to be reading this, thank you very much!  Even so, I was relieved and as soon as the camera was back in my hands I put its strap around my neck.  If I’d never taken it from that position I’d have never put myself through the ordeal; consider it a lesson learned that the strap is there for a reason.

I returned to the Punch Liner, camera safely in my grasp much to the relief of my wife.  She and I finished off our evening with a lot of laughs in the comedy club, which was exactly what I needed after having frazzled my own nerves just about as badly as they’ve ever been.  We turned in for the evening knowing that our time on the Dream was drawing to an end as tomorrow would be our final day at sea before returning to Port Canaveral.

No comments:

Post a Comment